Thursday, December 20, 2007

Game Reviews, Pokemon to be exact...

Yeah, no anime or manga from me because... well... I'll leave that to the experts for now I guess. :S So for now, two reviews of the latest Pokemon games, Pokemon Snap for the Virtual Console (on the Wii) and Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii.

---Pokemon Snap---
I never managed to own a N64 (mainly because at the time I was a total Sony fangirl), so I never got the chance to play Pokemon Snap the first time around. Basically what you do is take photos of erm... Pokemon. Kinda like those nature watch programmes but with anime-style creatures, maybe. If you totally dispise the anime/the whole Pokemon-when-it-was-a-craze-thing then you probably won't like this game. ANYWAY, to the very small number of you that are still reading, this game appears pretty under-rated. Sure, I finished it in a day, but it's still pretty good.


The title screen, obviously.


The game is set on 'Pokemon Island' which I assume is in Kanto, although that really doesn't matter... *ahem* there are six areas which are Beach, Tunnel, Volcano, River, Cave and Valley, with a secret area called Rainbow Cloud. The six main areas are full of Pokemon running around and occasionally doing some funny poses. On your first way through the areas, you might spot some weird none-monster stuff that look like a Pokemon called Pokemon Signs. Take pictures of all of them and you get to the final stage. Some stages require you to re-visit when you obtain apples, Pester balls and the Poke-Flute to snap the Pokemon that you previously missed or couldn't get. When you finish the level, you can choose the pictures to be evaluated by Professor Oak, who will judge them on closeness, pose and whether or not they're in the centre of the camera.



Aww, I love Meowth... X3 On this game, they provide some of the best comedy.

The game is simple to pick up and play and is easy to learn, but addictive as hell, especially when trying to get a good snap of Mew but end up getting a far away shot his/her tail once again. T-T The graphics are good (but I never judge a game on graphics so, meh). The only problems with this game is that it is far too short and you'll probably see everything in a day, although it is almost made up for with the fact that you can send snaps to friends and of course, 'edit' them in the Photo Channel. Not really worth the hefty 1000 Wii points (about £7.50) when you consider that the awesome The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 are going for the same price but hey, I got OoT and three other Zelda games for free for my Gamecube so I can't complain.

So, would I recommend Pokemon Snap? Well yes, but only if you're a die-hard Pokemon fan, like me! ^^' However, this is surprisingly good for a Pokemon spin off, and I reckon this game is BEGGING for a Wii sequel featuring all 493 of those collectable monsters, that fit in your pocket. It just doesn't live up to the likes of Ranger, but do remember that this came out at a time when Pikachu was a recognised world leader.

---Pokemon Battle Revolution---

Now here's a game created specifically for Pokemon fans. Pokemon Battle Revolution allows you to upload your Diamond and Pearl teams and use them in glorious 3Dness. There are some drawbacks to this game though, and unlike Snap, these problems don't really have redeeming features. However it would be silly to compare these two games as they're completely different! Anyway, on to the review!


Cerulean_Charizard starts to review! It's an INTENSE BLOW!


Since I started with the positives for Snap, I'll start by being negative with PBR (so labourious to type out the whole name). First things first. All the game is about is battling. Very disappointing seeing as the Stadium games had those cool looking mini-games that I never got to play. =( However, at least we're not having to purify Shadow Pokemon. I HATED that. A lot. Another thing that was slightly disappointing was that the trainer customisation wasn't nearly as diverse as I'd expected. You pick one out of six models and each get a small number of clothes designs and really it's a bit crap and limited. There's no right hair colour for the model I picked. ¬.¬''' and my hair colour's not exactly uncommon.

Waaait! It's not all bad! If there's one really good feature of PBR then that definately has to be the multiplayer features! If you're on your own, you can battle online with fellow Pokemon trainers all around the world! This would be perfect if it wasn't for the abundance of ubers filling my wi-fi and wiping out my precious Charizard. Admittedly though, I do bring my Mew along, but it isn't as bad as say, Dialga, Palkia, Kyogre, Groudon, Mewtwo and some other uber against my Charizard, Mew, Torterra, Feraligatr, Aerodactyl and Umbreon. Super-competitive people annoy me too, but at least they have skills...

*Tumbleweed blows past*

Oh snapz, I went off topic into a rant. Allow me to get back onto topic by mentioning that finally, at long last, you actually see the Pokemon physically hitting each-other! Within reason of course, it's pretty funny to see the Pokemon walk up to their opponent in sometimes a quite comical way. Speaking of comical, the commentator can't pronounce names properly, particularly Rayquaza. It's funny to listen to, but if it annoys you that much you can turn it off. They should have brought someone English to dub the commentator. Right now I just thought of Peter Kaye doing it and laughed. Shouldn't have watched Pheonix Nights at school this morning...

*Tumbleweed blows past again*

BACK ON TOPIC AGAIN (sorry, I won't do this again in future) and the overall view. for the love of, well, anything, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE DIAMOND/PEARL AND YOU DO NOT HAVE WI-FI OR SOME PEOPLE TO PLAY THIS GAME WITH!!!!!! I stress this especially because the rental Pokemon really are full of fail and PBR does not cater very well for poor single players with no wi-fi seeing as there is barely anything in the single player mode. Plus the computer AI on single player is really fail sometimes. If you DO have these things though, I would really recommend this game.

******

Anyway, hope the reviews helped and if you didn't, I hope I entertained you with my bad reviewing skills when it comes to games. >.<

~Cerulean_Charizard

1 comment:

Hauu~Machine said...

Ah Damn I'm not sure wether to get Snap or not... 1000 is quite a lot really. Well I need the internet first and I guess I'll leave it to my brother lol. Also PBR hmm I bet I'll end up with it for xmas and no internet! >_<